Your front door is what everyone sees when driving by your home and it's the first thing people see when they come to your home. If your door is an unsightly color or if it has a terrible paint job, you can paint over it to give it new life and add curb appeal to your home. Painting your front door takes some time and you need to take the right steps in order to do the job properly. Read on for some helpful tips to help you paint your front door properly.
Tools And Materials You'll Need:
- Small roller
- Painter's tape
- Clean rags
How To Get The Job Done:
- To begin, you need to remove all hardware from your door. You should remove your handle and door lock from the door to prevent getting paint on it. You can use painter's tape and tape around the lock and handle, but removing it is best. If you choose to remove the handle, you should sand down the area surrounding the lock and handle if there is any paint that is uneven, which could occur if someone painted around the lock and handle previously.
- Once the hardware is removed and the surrounding area is smooth from sanding, you need to clean your front door. Clean it using a mild cleaner mixed with water. Rinse the door down with a clean, wet cloth to remove any traces of the cleaner and to prevent the paint from not adhering properly. You want to clean the door thoroughly to prevent any stains from showing through and to remove grease buildup from hands touching the door over time.
- After your door is cleaned and dry, you can tape around any hinges or parts of the door you do not want to be painted such as glass inlays or the hinges themselves.
- Use your paintbrush to begin painting around the inlays and the edge of the door. Use an angled paintbrush to help you get into the cracks and crevices of the inlays.
- Lastly, you should use the roller to roll the paint onto the flat surfaces of your door. The roller will give you a smoother appearance. Blend the paintbrush strokes in with the roller and catch any drip marks as well.
- Allow the first coat of paint to dry, then add a second coat if necessary.
Painting a front door can help add curb appeal and instantly give your home an updated look. Your front door is what is first seen on your home, so make a good first impression. Reach out to a painter near you to learn more.